Tuesday 13 November 2012

London's Natural Beauties - Exhibit A. Ama

The road to having glorious Natural Hair rarely runs smoothly, and every now and then we need inspirational people to look at and remind ourselves that it's not all for nothing. That although natural hair styles may not be represented widely in the media, we have fabulous ladies representing all over our fair city.

This feature is to recognise some of London's Natural Beauties (...hence the title).


NAME: Ama
AGE: 28
NATURAL FOR:  10 years (Locs-aversary 3 years this September)

When You Gonna:  Why did you go natural?

Ama: I decided it would be healthier for my hair and I had memories of having amazing hair as a kid.  My hair was relaxed when I was 7 and by 18 I felt ready for a change. I'd seen a small image of a woman with beautiful Natural hair in 2-strand twists in Black Hair magazine and had an urge. So I cut my hair off and got that do.

W: What one product could you not live without?

A: Moischa made by my hair salon, Adornment 365. A little bit on my hands and spread evenly through my locs leaves them feeling completely moisturised and healthy. Actually, can I have 2 products?

WYG: Go on then.

A: OK, my second would be Jamaican Black Castor Oil.  Old school but it works. I go to the Naturally Thinking shop in Carshalton or order online to get ingredients to mix with it, such as grapeseed oil, extra virgin coconut oil, avocado oil and essences such as bitter orange and vanilla to get a smell I like. I mix them all in a bottle and spritz it on my locs to retain moisture that way.

Ama's 2nd Must Have

WYG: Thanks Ama, that's all amazing. Finally do you have any top tips for our readers?

A: Yeah, if you like to mix oils or hair treatments, keep them in dark or aluminium bottles to stop the oils from oxidising and losing their goodness.

WYG: Awesome.


**GET INVOLVED!**
If you would like to take part in this feature or know of any Natural Beauties you think we should show here GET IN TOUCH! Email us at: whenyougonnasortyourselfout@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment